Full-Time Assistant Director of Human Resources
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking an Assistant Director of Human Resources to join us in our Charlottesville, VA office. The Assistant Director of HR will work closely with the Director of HR to develop and maintain a positive work environment in which all staff are supported and set up for success throughout their employment. This involves a high level of touch points with staff and conducting trainings during the onboarding period and periodically throughout the year. This position will oversee both our onboarding and employee development systems, co-facilitating trainings for all staff and supervisors on management techniques and our internal development and evaluation systems, and will be an ongoing resource for managers and staff regarding professional development and performance management.
The ideal candidate will have experience presenting and conducting trainings, experience navigating performance management in an equitable and compassionate way, general knowledge of HR best practice, and experience building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. We are looking for someone who is interested in learning all of the facets of HR at SELC and assisting the Director of HR in creating, overseeing, and implementing a range of HR initiatives; this will involve working both strategically and on the ground.
- Onboarding: Provide information to new hires and work with them throughout the onboarding process; meet with new staff to introduce HR team and orient them to HR initiatives and resources; coordinate, organize, and facilitate “SELC 101”, a two day bi-annual organizational overview for new staff members at our headquarters office; oversee all components of onboarding program and review feedback from onboarding surveys to make improvements to program.
- Employee Development: Co-facilitate trainings on SELC’s new employee development system, management techniques, and SELC’s performance evaluation process; co-facilitate this training 3-4 times per year for new staff; periodically review and revise performance evaluation process and forms; oversee professional development plans.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Continuously work to foster a more diverse, inclusive, equitable, and open work environment; check in with staff members at certain benchmarks of employment and listen to feedback; create and oversee mentorship program for all staff.
- Personnel Management: Coach and advise managers on performance management issues; support feedback-rich culture and be ongoing resource for staff and managers on content in employee development trainings; ensure terminations are conducted in fair and equitable manner; conduct exit interviews with departing employees and follow-up on feedback as warranted.
- Strategic partner to HR Director: Work with the Director of HR on all aspect of HR and step in to manage projects as needed; help develop and implement HR initiatives; help with workload of HR staff during busy seasons.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of eight years of experience doing related work; must include experience with performance management and DEI work.
- Experience presenting to small groups and conducting trainings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; exhibits diplomacy and professionalism in written and verbal communication and can build rapport with people across the organization.
- Flexibility and adaptability; can merge HR knowledge and experience into a uniquely operating HR department.
- A strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission, including SELC’s deep commitment to being an open, welcoming, diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization.
- Ten years of experience in an HR-related field.
- Experience as an HR generalist.
- Advanced degree in HR-related field or SHRM certification.
- Experience with a non-profit organization.
Salary and Benefits: The starting salary range for this position is $70,000-$90,000 with an excellent benefits package. For more details, please visit our Careers page.
With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the South’s foremost environmental leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people. Although its regional focus is the Southeast, much of its work is national in scope and impact.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. It currently has a staff of more than 170 individuals, with 80 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
- To apply, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Interested persons should apply immediately.
- SELC is committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405