Full-Time Assistant Construction Code Official
Assistant Construction Code Official
Department: Housing, Economic Development, and Commerce
Division: Construction Code
Workweek: 40 hrs per week
Salary: Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance and more.
The City of Jersey City is looking to hire an Assistant Construction Code Official.
- Assists in planning, organizing, coordinating and directing the operations of the Inspections Services; applies independent judgment in defining and assigning projects, work methods, techniques and procedures.
- Assists in providing leadership, direction and guidance in technical processes and procedures; manages implementation and enforcement of building safety regulations; manages Inspection Services, plan review and permitting services.
- Assists as principal advisor and subject-matter expert on building safety issues; exercises independent judgment within broad policy guidelines; evaluates and analyzes technical issues, interprets City codes and ordinances and advises on specialized areas of technical expertise.
- Assists with directing, coaching and training staff and evaluating performance; meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve priorities, workload, resource allocation, quality standards and technical issues; monitors operations to identify and resolve problems; assures projects meet scope, schedule and quality requirements.
- Assists in determining Construction Code Division’s objectives and evaluates progress toward achieving goals.
- Assists in managing the collection, analysis and reporting of Construction Code Division’s data; reviews technical documents and other records to evaluate data quality and accuracy; identifies and corrects errors and inconsistencies in documents and reports; directs coordination of plans and issues with other state and regional agencies.
- Assist in analyzing operational information, evaluates trends and assures building safety issues are properly addressed and resolved; develops and presents reports and recommendations in public meetings.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Jersey City and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City wide emergency.
- Driving is an essential function.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or Engineering Technology is required; AND seven years’ experience in construction management and building inspection, including supervisory experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience running and organizing a mid-sized organization.
- Experience with construction and/or land management software.
- Previous experience as a Construction Official or Subcode Official.
License and Certification:
- Must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License
- Must be licensed HHS or multi-licensed in one of the technical licenses, with Subcode and Construction Official Licenses
- Must have accreditation in Green Buildings and Energy subcode
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Knowledge of federal, state, county, and local codes, ordinances, and regulations relating to Construction Codes (building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and others).
- Principles and practices of the construction industry and building trades
- Reading and interpreting building plans and technical specifications and checking details, estimates, plans and specifications of projects.
- Applying technical knowledge of building trades work and using sound inspection methods to determine workmanship quality and detect deviations from plans, specifications and standard practices.
- Providing advice and consultation on construction methods and technical requirements.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, elected officials, regional community development agencies, advocate groups and the general public.
- Managing staff, delegating tasks and authority and coaching to improve staff performance.
- Internal functioning of City government and community needs. Principles and techniques of effective customer service.
- Previous work in a government environment
How to Apply
- Full Civil Service job description available here: https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/05728.htm
- You must eventually pass and qualify for this Civil Service title.
- To apply for this job with the City of Jersey City fill out our Employment Application.