Full-Time Anchorage Community Organizer
Job Title: Community Organizer
Reports to: Advocacy Director
Salary: $45,000-$50,000 DOE
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
The Alaska Center seeks an experienced, dedicated, and talented Community Organizer to help advance our vision for clean air and water, healthy communities, and a strong democracy. Our Community Organizers work alongside volunteers to engage, inspire, and galvanize thousands of Alaskans to take action on various issues and elect decision-makers who share our vision. The ideal candidate will have high social confidence, love working with people and growing relationships with volunteers and community leaders, be skilled at field organizing, and understand the importance of connecting with a diverse array of communities. This position works out of our Anchorage office, so candidates should be located in Anchorage or surrounding areas.
The Alaska Center envisions a thriving, just, and sustainable Alaska for future generations. We engage, empower, and elect Alaskans to stand up for clean air and water, a strong democracy, and a fair and equitable transition from an extractive economy to a regenerative economy. Our issue priorities are protecting salmon habitat, advancing clean energy solutions in the face of rapid climate change, and amplifying Alaskans’ voices in the public process. In partnership with our sister organization, The Alaska Center Education Fund, we achieve our vision through youth education and leadership development, community organizing and mobilization, and electing leaders who will champion our values.
- Mobilize Alaskans to take action on climate/clean energy/democracy issues using a variety of tactics: event attendance, 1:1’s, calls, letters, petition signature gathering, canvassing, phone banking, in-person meetings, celebrations, etc.
- Help elect leaders who share our values by implementing a variety of data-driven field tactics: volunteer activation, strategic door canvassing, strategic phone banking, lit dropping, etc.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with volunteers, AK Center Members, and the communities we serve, with a focus on communities most impacted by the issues we work on, including Alaska Native, people of color, youth, and low-income communities;
- Elevate volunteer leaders to help shape and inform campaign goals, tactics, and strategies and ensure that the interests and vision of community members help shape our climate, clean air and water, and democracy work.
- Help gather and elevate impactful stories from volunteers, community members, and other stakeholders, and share these through the organizations’ social media, emails, and in our narratives.
- Meet quantitative goals for monthly event building, weekly volunteer contact and recruitment, and provide regular updates on campaign progress to staff, funders, and other interested stakeholders.
- Plan, manage, and represent The Alaska Center at community events to raise visibility and support for campaigns.
- Manage and help plan visits with targeted legislators and other elected officials.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Two years of experience with grassroots organizing, electoral campaigns, civic engagement, or integrated voter engagement programs. Experience working directly with volunteers is preferred. Volunteer and paid experience are applicable.
- Passion for The Alaska Center’s mission and programs.
- A true passion for building relationships and community, and demonstrated ability to meaningfully engage and galvanize Alaskans from diverse backgrounds.
- Commitment to understanding race, class, gender, and other equity issues in organizing and politics.
- Experience and commitment to strengthening racial justice, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization, in campaigns, and with partners.
- Innovation, ability to take risks, constant curiosity and desire to learn.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well independently and on a team.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Excellent written communication skills. Demonstrated experience writing for different audiences and mediums.
- Ability to inspire action in others, lead by example and instill purpose into daily campaign operations of the organization.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and solution-based approach in high pressure or difficult situations.
Preferred Skills and Qualification:
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram platforms.
- Experience coordinating events.
- Experience with Google-Suite platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, respond quickly to emerging opportunities, and be flexible to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Experience with Voter Action Network (VAN), EveryAction (EA) and affiliated databases.
This is a full-time position that must be based in Anchorage, Alaska. Salary is dependent on experience with a generous and competitive benefits package. All Alaska Center staff have access to professional development opportunities, including training and support. The Alaska Center provides a supportive work environment with excellent benefits and incentives. The Alaska Center is an equal opportunity employer. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
We are committed to supporting, centering, and working with Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, Working-Class and Low-Income people, Women, LGBTQIA2+ people, and Disabled people in addressing the many crises that impact us. We strongly encourage people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities to apply.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. The first review of applications will be July 20th. No phone calls, please.
How to ApplyTo apply, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position open until filled. The first review of applications will be July 20th. No phone calls, please.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405