Full-Time Advocacy Coordinator
Job Opportunity: Advocacy Coordinator
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Ideal start date is October 2021.
Clean Air Council strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and those with disabilities to apply.
About Clean Air Council The Council is a member-supported environmental organization that has protected and defended everyone’s right to a healthy environment for over 50 years. The Council primarily serves Pennsylvania and uses public education, community action, government oversight, and enforcement of environmental laws to advocate for a clean and healthy environment. The Council’s team of policy analysts, planners, environmental health educators, attorneys, engineers, and community organizers work to advocate for a cleaner environment, healthier lives for communities facing pollution, and the ability of local residents to have meaningful input on the decisions that impact their health, environment, and quality of life.
The advocacy coordinator will work with community members and partner organizations to advance state and local policies and permit conditions that protect the Delaware River Watershed from the negative impacts of industrial infrastructure, including natural gas-related projects, and/or other development projects that may affect the watershed.
- Support residents, community groups, conservation groups, and recreation groups, especially in environmental justice neighborhoods, to advocate for local, watershed-wide, and statewide policies to better protect streams and rivers.
- Work with partners to research, develop and implement advocacy campaigns to champion stronger water quality standards in the Delaware River Watershed.
- Reach out to landowners, conservation groups, and government officials near existing or proposed facilities to ensure they are aware of project changes or proposals.
- Prepare educational resources (e.g., webinars, fact sheets) about existing or proposed projects, their impacts on the watershed, and how to engage in decision-making on the project.
- Collaborate with Council staff (including attorneys) to understand key concerns about proposed permits or policies.
- Provide briefings and talking points to residents that distill technical information into plain language to help prepare them for comment periods and public hearings on permits or policies.
- Attend and testify at relevant public comment hearings.
- Ability to learn new topics quickly and thoroughly.
- Excellent research, written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to explain complex concepts to the general public.
- Experience collaborating with external partners on a project.
- Community outreach experience preferred.
- Experience or familiarity with watershed protection strategies/policies preferred.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field, or equivalent experience, preferred.
- Previous experience working on an advocacy campaign a plus.
- Comfort with giving presentations/public speaking a plus.
- Applicants must be located in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Some local and regional travel may be required. The Council will cover the cost of public transportation, mileage, or rental cars.
- Having a valid driver’s license is preferred.
- May need to attend occasional evening and weekend events or meetings.
Compensation: Pay is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The salary range for this position is $40,000 to $50,000. Annual reviews include consideration of a raise.
- 50% of healthcare costs (including vision and optional dental)
- Flexible spending account for healthcare-related spending
- 21 vacation days plus 2 personal days per year
- Parental leave
- Flexible working hours
- Remote work
- 401k with employer match
- Long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Public transit benefits
How to ApplyApplicants should send a cover letter and resume to Matt Walker, Advocacy Director, at email@example.com. Please cc John Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org) and use the subject “Advocacy Coordinator Application_LAST NAME.”
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405