Full-Time Advocacy Campaigns Manager
Are you interested in leading advocacy campaigns that fight climate change and reduce utility bill burdens? With the Biden administration poised to make critical decisions in the months and years ahead, the Appliance Standards Awareness Project (ASAP), a project of ACEEE, is expanding its federal advocacy team and seeks an experienced advocate/organizer. ASAP organizes and leads a broad-based coalition effort that works to advance, win, and defend new appliance, equipment, and lighting efficiency standards that cut emissions, save water, and reduce economic and environmental burdens for low- to moderate-income households. With energy costs on the rise and the clock ticking on climate action, this job provides an opportunity to create real change by winning stronger efficiency standards.
ACEEE, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980, develops transformative policies to reduce energy waste and combat climate change. With our independent analyses, we aim to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, reduces costs, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone. ACEEE is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while weaving equity into our research and policy work. ACEEE seeks a qualified advocacy campaign manager for its ASAP program.
The advocacy campaigns manager leads the Appliance Standards Awareness Project’s federal campaigns aimed at persuading the Biden Administration to adopt strong new energy- and water-efficiency standards. The manager leads efforts to build and demonstrate public and political support for big improvements in critical standards that are set through individual public rulemaking processes conducted by the Department of Energy. Top products with big savings potential include home heating equipment (e.g., furnaces and heat pumps), water heaters, air conditioners and many others. The manager also leads ASAP’s general outreach and education efforts, developing relationships and deepening understanding of appliance standards with a broad audience. The manager supervises and works closely with the outreach and coalition-building associate. This position will be supervised by ASAP’s executive director and will also work with ASAP’s technical advocacy team and ACEEE’s communications manager.
- Conceptualize, develop, manage and carry out all aspects of advocacy campaign strategy
- Ensure that equity and environmental justice issues are centered in our efforts
- Contribute to campaign message development
- Create content including fact sheets, sign-on letters, blog posts, sample letters-to-the-editor, stories, and web and social media content, etc.
- Work with allies to spread campaign messages and content to their members and networks through all types of media
- Supervise and complement the work of ASAP’s outreach and coalition-building associate
- Work with ASAP’s Steering Committee members to advance our campaign objectives
- Manage ASAP’s web presence, including the website
- Represent ASAP at conferences and policy meetings
- Solid knowledge of advocacy, organizing, and coalition-building strategies and tactics
- Ability to identify opportunities to build support for desired policy outcomes
- Ability to implement advocacy strategies to help achieve organizational goals
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills; ability to understand and convey technical material to non-technical audiences
- Ability to simultaneously work on several ongoing projects with competing deadlines
- Superb organizational and project management skills
- Tech-savvy and quick learner
- A bachelor’s degree and at least seven years of work experience
- Solid experience leading or working on policy advocacy campaigns
- Ability to communicate complicated policy issues verbally and in written form
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and coordinate work of other staff
- Excellent writer who works well under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills; must be comfortable engaging with diverse external stakeholders
- Strong interest in being part of a team working toward a common goal
- Demonstrated knowledge of climate and energy policy and its intersection with equity objectives
- Experience working on federal or state policy
- Familiarity with energy efficiency and regulatory processes
Preferred start date: On or about mid-June. ASAP staff are currently remote (working from home). This position can work remotely or in our Washington, DC office.
Salary & Benefits: The salary range is $77,000 – $95,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b)-retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
How to Apply
- To Apply: To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to [email protected] by April 28, 2022. Use “ASAP Advocacy Campaigns Manager” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls or emails about the position. Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
- ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.