Full-Time Advocacy and Campaigns Manager
TOMRA’s mission is to lead the Resource Revolution in pursuit of a Circular Economy. Through systems-thinking and our sensor-based technology, we help our customers lower costs and environmental impact through processes designed to capture materials for reuse, and reducing material use during production. In the US and Canada, TOMRA works in a market-space framed by state/provincial legislation and regulations based on Extended Producer Responsibility policy. Its business model services the recycling collection and value chain.
To lead on this mission, Tomra is looking to hire an Advocacy and Campaigns Manager to join our Governmental Affairs and Compliance team. We work among global coalitions of private and non-profit sector advocates supporting a move towards a circular economy. This person will advocate for policies to advance recycling, and the ‘modernization’ of current collection and sorting systems. This individual must maintain a high level of current knowledge concerning industry and company issues and feel very comfortable representing TOMRA, and its business models. Working-experience in social and other communications campaigns, grass-roots and grass-tops engagement campaigns, public speaking, commissioning and publishing research are all essential.
Principal Responsibilities include the following:
- Under close supervision of the SVP, responsible for planning and executing advocacy campaigns that support TOMRA’s mission in assigned markets.
- Understanding and presentation of relevant political, environmental, societal and legal frame conditions.
- Proactively building campaigns that engage coalitions including strategic partnerships and the grassroots.
- Strengthening TOMRA’s leadership brand and network by engaging with various external and internal actors including: public policymakers and policy-leaders, members of the legislature and administration, ENGOs, lobbyists, media, research consultants, business partners, customers, and cross-functional departments.
- Developing state and local-level messaging and positioning statements.
- Create compelling resource materials for both print and digital formats; drafting talking points; and developing program toolkits and action alerts for internal and external partners.
- Engage TOMRA and coalition employees into political action.
- Serve as administrator to CRM system and manage program contacts database.
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in communications, government relations, public relations, materials science, sustainability or a related field.
- Minimum 5-years’ experience working in advocacy and campaigns at the municipal, state or federal government levels in North America.
- Demonstrated experience in movement building.
- Organized, and able to work both independently and as part of a team; and
- Strong communications skills including: oral, presentation, written, editorial, social media, interpersonal.
- Demonstrated experience executing campaigns and projects towards their successful completion.
- Candidate must demonstrate an ability to build relationships, with the ability to “teach” on issues.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to lead collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues, with demonstrated leadership and relationship management skills in working with third-party consultants, lobbyists, coalition members, and the public.
- Network of applicable relationships and extensive working knowledge of the political, environmental, societal and legal framework conditions in North America.
- Strong passion for public policy and programs related to recycling and the circular economy.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; Spanish a plus; and
- Computer literate with a strong focus on MS Office, Excel, legislative tracking systems, and CRM.