Temporary Temporary Burn Boss
Temporary Burn Boss, NANTUCKET ISLANDS LAND BANK
The Nantucket Islands Land Bank (NILB) is seeking to hire, on a temporary basis, a National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) qualified Prescribed Burn Boss.
The burn boss will have qualified as a prescribed fire burn boss Type 2 according to the standards described and detailed at: file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/pms-311-74.pdf
The NILB and cooperators are seeking to develop self-sufficiency in all aspects of its prescribed fire management program. Currently, to conduct burning safely and effectively, the Island must import a burn boss and some support crew. However, the core fire crew is within 2-4 seasons of completing training for an RxB3 seeking to become RxB2 qualified and several squad boss and other support positions are close to completing task books and live fire training exercises.
Duties and responsibilities
Leading up to and during spring and fall prescribed fire seasons the burn boss will train and mentor existing Island fire crew. The total amount of time commitment is variable, ranging from 5-12 preparation and burning days per season. Tasks may include leading and supervising prescribed burns at multiple sites and in a wide variety of fuel types, helping individuals attain and document their training goals, writing, reviewing, amending or modifying burn plans, burn unit site visits and assisting with yearly crew refresher and trainings.
It is imperative that the selected candidate live within a reasonable driving distance especially given the often-short notice dictated by local weather patterns. On-island housing is included.
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Current certification as a Prescribed Fire Burn Boss Type 2 (RxB2) according to National Wildfire Coordinating Group training standards.
- Demonstrated experience as a Prescribed Fire Burn Boss in a wide variety of fuel types.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in oral expression and to write clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, to supervise workers and equipment operators, and to work effectively with a group.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a major in forestry, wildlife management, conservation biology, ecology, or a closely related field with a minimum of four years of professional experience preferred.
This position is intended to be temporary and will be filled for 5-12 days in the spring and fall burning windows.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and availability. NILB will provide housing for the selected candidate during burn windows.
Applicants must supply a cover letter describing their interests and qualifications electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2017.
For further information, contact:
Rachael Freeman, Environmental Coordinator
Nantucket Islands Land Bank
22 Broad Street
Nantucket, MA 02554