Temporary Summer Nature Camp Teacher
SUMMER WILDLIFE CAMP TEACHER POSITION
(Seasonal, $16/hr with end of summer bonus)
WildCare offers Summer Wildlife Camp sessions from June 4 through August 10, 2018. Sessions run for one week with a different theme each week geared towards a specific age group. Our Wildlife Camp serves 3.5 through 12 year olds with 14 to 16 campers per session. Camp Teachers work five days per week (Monday through Friday) and will have one week off during the week of July 2-6. The Summer Nature Camp Teacher reports to an Education Director.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Responsible for preparing and leading daily camp activities for 9 week-long summer camp sessions. Camp themes, rough outlines and descriptions of activities are available for the Camp Teacher to use and modify.
- Supervise and manage paid Camp Teacher’s Aide, and Volunteer Teen Camp Assistants.
- Keep camp materials and camp room in good order, supervising clean up and ensuring stock
- Work within the assigned budget for the camp season.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To be considered for an interview, applicants must meet all qualifications listed below. The ideal candidate is someone who is enthusiastic, enjoys working with children, has previous experience delivering classroom and outdoor programming for children, and has good knowledge of California natural history. Preference will be given to those applicants who have had completed college course work in Biological Studies, Environmental Studies, Liberal Studies/Teacher Education or similar work. Candidate must have reliable transportation to travel to WildCare as well as to off-site hike locations in Marin County.
- Must enjoy working with children and teaching
- Previous teaching experience (preferably Pre-K through grade 5)
- Knowledge of California natural history
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to perform work without direct supervision
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft office software
- Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 25 lbs. on occasion
- Must feel comfortable standing for extended periods of time
- Must be able to hike up to 3 miles
This is an hourly, non-exempt, seasonal position without benefits. $16/hr with $2/hr bonus at the end of the summer for each hour worked when commitment is completed. A typical work day is 8:30 am – 3:30 pm with an average of 35-40 hours per week.