Full-Time Steward – Western Region (year-round, full-time)
About the Position:
The Steward is a member of the Trustees stewardship staff in the Western Region, employing the best professional practices to provide for safe and enjoyable visitor use of Trustees properties. The Steward performs routine maintenance and project-based work with other staff/volunteers and independently: cares for fields, trails, gardens, structures, and other natural and cultural features.
The Steward splits their time seasonally between the Northwest and West Management Units: reporting to work at Notchview Reservation in Windsor, MA during the ski season and to Florence, MA the rest of the year.
- Performs grounds maintenance operations including, but not limited to: invasive plant control, trash management, snow removal, snow grooming, constructing and maintaining parking areas and fences, trail construction and maintenance, tree work, and vegetation management.
- Helps to supervise seasonal staff and volunteers, with administrative tasks and with the management of contractors.
- Supervise and/or perform routine maintenance of buildings and structures.
- Ensure that preventive and routine maintenance is performed on all equipment.
- Required to professionally represent the organization when interacting with the public to expand membership and visibility. This includes maintaining productive relationships with our members, visitors, neighbors, town officials, businesses, and other Trustees staff.
- Provide support for engagement, fundraising, and enterprise-related events — especially during the winter, at Notchview.
- Note: This position requires regular outdoor working under varying conditions (heat, cold, wind, sun) and environmental hazards including ticks and poison ivy.
- Other duties as assigned, with or without accommodation
Associate’s Degree in a building trade, mechanics, natural resource management, or ski area operations; or related field; or equivalent work experience.
Abilities and Skills:
Applicants must have:
- Interest in arboriculture, forestry, horticulture, and in maintaining historic landscapes and buildings;
- the ability to safely operate, repair, and maintain chain saws, mowers, trimmers, and associated landscaping equipment;
- strong oral and written communication skills and proven success in dealing with members of the staff, the public, and community officials (leadership skills a plus);
- self motivation, resourcefulness, the ability to work independently, and the ability to translate work goals into specific actions;
- the ability to handle the unexpected: to be flexible and be able to think on their feet;
- awareness of and concern for aesthetic quality in all aspects of their work;
- a love and respect for the natural world and an ability to convey this passion to the public; and
- a commitment to be safety aware, to work safely at all times, and to create a culture of safety.
An understanding of Nordic skiing, plumbing, electrical work, masonry, painting, carpentry, and vehicle/equipment mechanics is a plus.
Successful candidates must pass a CORI and driving record check and applicants must have:
- a valid MA driver’s license and ability to drive a variety of commercial vehicles from dump trucks to snowmobiles;
- the ability to work in any outdoor conditions year-round, safely lift 60 lbs., and walk over 2 miles on woodland trails carrying gear;
- basic computer literacy incl. Microsoft Office and Windows (social media fluency is a plus);
- a valid Pesticide Applicator license, basic first aid, and CPR certification before start of work or obtain within 6 months of starting; and a willingness to apply herbicides as a routine work duty;
Basic competency with a smartphone use for photos, email, etc. is a plus and fluency is preferred.
Hours and Salary
This is a full-time non-exempt year-round hourly position with an optimal start date in April, 2018. The position provides a competitive benefit package. Hourly wage is based upon education, experience and demonstrated ability. The work schedule varies seasonally and includes some weekend and evening work.