Full-Time Senior Stormwater Engineer – Civil Engineer II
The City of Roanoke is seeking a Civil Engineer II – Senior Stormwater Engineer in our Stormwater Division of the Public Works Department. This position supervises and participates in the planning, design, scheduling, right-of-way acquisition, construction contract administration, construction inspection and citizen outreach of a variety of Stormwater Capital Improvement Projects; supervises the Stormwater Utility’s engineering / inspection staff. Has specific knowledge of associated design components including professional land surveying, sustainable and resilient design, drafting, erosion and sediment control, and green infrastructure. Ensures that Stormwater Capital Improvement Projects follow the tenets of the Envision rating system developed by the Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure to only alleviate drainage issues, but also to improve water quality downstream and protect the health of the Roanoke River. Procures professional engineering consultant services and manages design contracts. Has the ability to use AutoCAD, Spread Sheets, ArcGIS, HEC-RAS and various Stormwater design software programs. Specific experience in dealing with state and federal regulatory agencies including but not limited to FEMA, USACE, VA DEQ, VA DCR, VDOT, VMRC, and VDGIF. Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (VA DPOR) board for Architects and Engineers with a major in civil, biological systems, or hydrological engineering, or related field; five to ten years related experience and/or training in a variety of professional engineering work; prefer graduate study in the area of Stormwater ; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia or be able to obtain within 12 months of hire. Credentialed as an Envision Sustainability Professional (ENV SP) through the Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure is preferred or be able to obtain within 6 months of hire.
Performs work in the planning, scheduling, survey, design construction, inspection and maintenance of a variety of projects; provide engineering services for contract management, construction projects, building use reassignment evaluations, and system maintenance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervises and participates in the production of design work related to Capital Improvement Projects providing services in the area of professional land survey, design, drafting erosion and sediment control and storm water management design
- Prepares designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates for assigned projects and participates in building design, contract administration and preparation of contract documents
- Manages architectural/engineering consultants in the preparation of designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates for assigned projects
- Manages construction of assigned projects from bid evaluation through project close-out; reviews design plans and construction/installation schedules; attends planning and construction progress meetings and prepares meeting minutes; performs site inspections to assure compliance with project specifications, building codes, and other regulations
- Meets with project coordinators, such as consulting engineers, City representatives, and contractors; determines projected needs/use levels according to established models; coordinates operations schedules; prepares progress reports
- Prepares, monitors, reviews, and controls expenditures and budgets; reviews construction contract payment requests; investigates quality of work or product prior to the awarding of contracts Coordinates the activities of city, state and federal agencies, private businesses, contractors, consultants and others involved with city projects
- Compiles, verifies and assembles complex information for others; produces and reviews routine and specialized reports; evaluates policy, program, contract compliance, or work plan based on complex data; makes recommendations and issues regular and special reports
- Maintains logs, tracking systems, and specialized databases; enters, retrieves, and analyzes data; prepares reports; enters routine, technical, and specialized data into department computer system; generates routine documents, such as correspondence, electronic mail, requisitions and purchase orders.
Supervises an assigned staff in the completion of projects. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia Registration board for Architects and Engineers with a major in civil engineering or related field; five to ten years related experience and/or training in a variety of professional engineering work. Graduate study in the areas of storm water management, street and highway design and maintenance and bridge and structure design and maintenance preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.