Full-Time Plant Ecologist / Argonomist (Chico or Turlock, CA)
Do you value clean water, wild rivers, and healthy forests? Are you willing to lend your voice and your hands to protect fish and wildlife? Would you rather plant a tree than write a report? Are you excited to work with a team of ecologists, farmers, and entrepreneurs? If you answered yes to all of these questions, River Partners needs your help.
Position: The Plant Ecologist works with River Partners’ biology, field implementation, and development teams to complete riparian habitat restoration projects. The position is based out of River Partners’ office in Chico, CA or Turlock, CA.
This senior-level position includes:
- Managing complex large-scale restoration projects;
- Proactively communicating with team members;
- Managing personnel;
- Writing plans, reports, and articles;
- Meeting multiple deadlines and providing outstanding customer service;
- Managing multi-million dollar budgets;
- Managing and building relationships with external partners;
- Representing the organization to stakeholders;
- Working on a diverse and highly motivated team;
- Working independently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Assisting in the development of new restoration projects.
- Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling staff and resources to meet contractual obligations and deadlines;
- Training entry-level biologists and interns;
- Completing site specific plans and project reports;
- Assisting with proposal writing and budgeting new projects;
- Reviewing scientific, contractual, and informative documents and supervising their production;
- Collaborating with the field implementation department to translate site specific designs from paper to the field;
- Attending public events, fairs and meetings to promote the organization and its mission;
- Developing and delivering presentations to the scientific community, government agencies, and the public;
- Traveling to multiple restoration projects for planning, monitoring, and project development – This position will require overnight travel up to 3 nights per month, and some evening and weekend work;
- May involve long hours and/or weekends in a variety of field conditions;
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
M.S (or PhD) in plant biology, ecology, soil science, agriculture science or related science and at least five years of appropriate work experience. Work experience in California’s Central Valley is preferred. Successful candidates must possess a valid driver’s license with no restrictions and be able to lift 40 pounds. A background in agriculture is desirable.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Possess the enthusiasm and drive to assist River Partners in fulfilling its mission;
- Enjoy working with diverse people and organizations to get things done;
- Creatively solve problems and delight in learning new skills;
- Effectively communicate complicated biological findings orally and in writing;
- Possess knowledge of and experience with basic irrigation techniques and a working knowledge of soil chemistry and plant science;
- A working knowledge of California native plants, riparian ecology, and river hydrology;
- Possess the ability to work on both a team environment and independently;
- Demonstrate good organizational skills, ability to work under multiple deadlines, and flexibility to handle changing priorities;
- Be able to remain dedicated and focused on multiple tasks;
- Competently use Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, , and other programs;
- Have experience collecting, organizing, and analyzing field data;
- Possess the ability to communicate in basic Spanish (preferred, but not required).