Part-Time Greenhouse Technician
- Job Type: Part-Time
- Job Category: Skilled Labor
- Location: Unity, Maine, United States
- Education Level: H.S. Diploma/Equivalent
- Salary Type: Hourly Wage
- Industry: Agricultural
- Required Travel: 0-10%
- Experience: 3-5 Years
- Apply URL: https://unity.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=93188
Location: Thorndike, ME
Category: Support Staff
Posted: Jan 07, ’18
About Unity College:
For over fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to successfully face real-world challenges. We believe that we should serve a broad range of students from all backgrounds across the U.S. ? and the world. To be responsive to the rapidly changing needs of students and society, Unity College has adopted an enterprise model as its institutional organization, expanding the college into two distinct units that offer both undergraduate and graduate environmental degrees: flagship campus and distance education.
On our flagship campus, our liberal arts curriculum is built upon a unique framework of sustainability science ? the first of its kind in the nation. A distinctive approach to learning provides our students with an exceptional, high-quality education, enabling them to drive real change with leading-edge knowledge and expertise within any of our 17 environmentally focused majors. Our unique location provides extraordinary opportunities for hands-on learning and research, and active and engaged students work together with forward-thinking faculty to make true community-based learning possible. From 225 wooded acres of farmland overlooking Unity Pond in the tranquil village of Unity, Maine, we prepare each of our students to make a mark on the world.
Our distance education unit, started in 2016, extends the effects of a Unity College education to adult learners, and beyond the physical confines of the flagship campus. Unity College Online offers affordable, accredited master’s degrees and non-degree credits, ideal for working professionals seeking to advance their careers, helping students become the change maker the world needs while still honoring their commitments, wherever they are.
The Greenhouse Technician is a staff position providing agricultural services responsible for performing daily operations in the greenhouses at the Farm, including crop culture and care, monitoring and maintenance of climate systems and greenhouse infrastructure, and visual appeal. This position also contributes to customer service and marketing and sales of Farm activities and products. The Greenhouse Technician supports and is supported by other members of the Sustainability work unity and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. Specific duties include (but are not all inclusive):
- Perform daily crop production activities in the greenhouse including but not limited to watering, weeding, fertilization, planting, harvest, post-harvest handling, soil preparation, and pest management.
- Helps monitor and adjust greenhouse facility conditions. Reports problems and works closely with farm management to ensure proper operation, maintenance and repair.
- Helps operate irrigation systems including overhead, drip, and manual; and climate control systems including shade curtains, fans, automatic and manual ventilation, and oil, propane, solar thermal, and wood pellet heating systems.
- Works with the Manager to develop, plan, and evaluate greenhouse production activities and revenue opportunities.
- Contributes to record keeping efforts for evaluation of enterprise, productivity, energy use, and sustainability, as well as requirements for compliance with MOFGA Organic certification.
- Assists Manager in product selection and management.
- Conducts wholesale and retail sales and updates database of customers and sales. Takes orders and makes deliveries.
- Operates the Point of Sale (POS) system, including running cards and collecting money from customers.
- Demonstrates accurate cash management and inventory control accountability.
- Provides excellent customer service; answers phone calls and acts in a courteous and professional manner when greeting guests at the facility.
- Serves as a technical resource to facility users including students, employees, researches and community members.
- Monitors inventory and recommends purchases of needed equipment and supplies.
- Contributes to marketing and customer relations leading to profitable sales of farm products.
- Follows protocols for safe use of chemicals.
- Performs repairs on buildings, irrigation systems, ventilations systems as needed.
- Helps Assistant Manager with the setup of displays both inside the greenhouses and outside as needed.
- Works continuously to improve safety at the facility by communicating and following safety guidelines; helps to identify and mitigate risks and demonstrates safe work habits.
- Works with the Manager to maintain an organized, inviting, safe and sanitary environment.
The ideal candidate will have a High School or GED equivalent – Bachelor’s degree preferred as well as:
- Three or more years working in a commercial greenhouse
- Proven customer service skills
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Working knowledge of fertilizers and pesticides, including how, why and when to apply; relevant safety and legal requirements and the correct use of related equipment.
- Basic mechanical skills and light carpentry.
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management principles and practices, plant propagation and culture methods, soil and growth media preparation.
- Basic computer skills including all Microsoft Office programs with an emphasis in Excel spreadsheets, Web based searches, and email.
- Able to communicate with stakeholders (employees, customers and students) via phone, email and in person.
- Familiarity with principles and practice of scientific research.
- Management skills preferred.
This is a seasonally full-time (up to 40 hours per week for 28 weeks) nonexempt position. Primarily day shift with weekends and/or extended hours.. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and meeting the college’s needs.
While performing the duties of this job, is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Reach with hands and arms; and taste or smell. Frequently required to talk or hear. Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Regularly lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, color, and peripheral vision as well as depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Varying working conditions which require close concentration, visual attention and need for manual and physical dexterity. Work with chemicals and substances requiring safety precautions and with equipment requiring constant and careful attention. Occasionally operates mechanical equipment. Always required to wear protective equipment during the periodic use of pesticides, fertilizers and soil preparation.