Full-Time Executive Director
Executive Director Opportunity
Tilth Alliance seeks a strategic and inspiring executive director who is committed to cultivating a sustainable and equitable food system in Washington State.
The executive director is responsible for furthering Tilth Alliance’s vision and mission, implementing board policies and objectives, and managing daily operations. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the executive director provides leadership, develops resources, guides strategic planning and implements programs. The executive director cultivates relationships, uniting farmers, eaters, gardeners, cooks, environmental advocates, donors and members across the state to champion an equitable and ecologically sound food system. She or he advises the board on policy matters and acts as the main spokesperson for Tilth Alliance.
The Board seeks candidates who are passionate about realizing a healthier and more equitable food system; have a proven track record of successful leadership; are committed to diversity and equity, and can effectively communicate a shared vision. We seek an honest, principled and ethical individual who communicates directly, respectfully, and empathetically.
About Tilth Alliance
Tilth Alliance is 501c3 nonprofit with a longstanding history of inspiring, teaching and empowering people to grow and harvest food in ways that contribute to thriving communities and a healthy environment. Tilth Alliance believes everyone deserves to eat well, every day. We are creating a better food culture in Washington by teaching people to grow, prepare and eat food with a clear understanding of the interconnectedness of food, health, community and the earth’s sustainability. Using fields, farms and kitchens as classrooms to teach much more than agriculture, we transform lives and the communities we serve. We are looking for our next leader to guide the organization toward a vision of Tilth Alliance as a catalyst for broad cultural change built upon tradition, understanding, equity, connection and celebration.
Tilth Alliance provides:
- Science-based experiential education designed so people can get their hands in the soil and expand their understanding of how food is grown, distributed and prepared
- Resources to help people grow, source, cook, and enjoy food in ways that support human and environmental health and that reduce waste
- Peer-to-peer learning, networking and resources to foster thriving, successful farm businesses that can continue to feed local communities.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for leadership, community relations, resource development, and fiscal and operations oversight.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership in concert with the Board to realize the goals and objectives of Tilth Alliance.
- Develop and implement strategic and operating plans including long-range programs and services, in harmony with overall Tilth Alliance objectives.
- Monitor and evaluate programs and exercise appropriate action to ensure high quality program achievements.
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for Tilth Alliance and effectively communicate the vision and mission.
Community relations and resource development
- Cultivate, maintain and leverage relationships with partner organizations, government and other agencies across the state, to support the Tilth Alliance mission of promoting an equitable and sustainable food and farming system.
- Develop strategic collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance Tilth Alliance’s mission and goals.
- Foster a culture of inclusivity by engaging diverse individuals, cultures, and community partners.
Operations and fiscal oversight
- Provide leadership and accountability for achieving annual fundraising goals.
- Oversee the preparation of the annual budget and implement sound financial management practices that demonstrate fiscal responsibility.
- Provides mentoring, professional development, and performance management of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to champion open communication, collaboration and trust.
- Ability to balance vision with performance and are both strategic and tactical with the ability to chart future direction while developing and implementing operational plans.
- Strong knowledge of good governance practices, operations management, strategic planning, and human resources practices.
- Executive leadership or equivalent experience directing and mentoring staff.
- Ability to manage conflict with diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and facilitate system change initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in budget development and management.
- Proven track record of grant writing and fundraising with individual donors (including solicitation of major gifts), businesses, government entities, and foundations.
- Ability to quickly assess needs and determine action.
- Strong history of developing and implementing programs for participants from underrepresented communities and diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated passion for food systems and agricultural sustainability from urban to rural perspectives.
- 5+ years nonprofit leadership including working with a board of directors
- Ability to cultivate a culture of inclusivity by engaging diverse individuals, cultures, and community partners.
- Strong fiscal management and budgetary leadership experience
- Experience with staff supervision and performance evaluation, including employment status decisions.
- Passion for the mission and commitment to addressing food system and agriculture issues in Washington state.
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- A degree in public administration, communication, business or related field. Equivalent work experience may be considered in lieu of education requirement.
This is a full-time exempt position that requires willingness to work some evenings and weekends and travel statewide. We offer a competitive salary, depending on experience; benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time-off and sick leave.