Full-Time Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist III – Wine Industry!
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist III – The Impact of Information
“We should try to leave the world a better place than when we entered it.” – Michio Kaku
Fetzer Vineyards is known for our commitment to environmental and social business practices. Spanning decades, we have encouraged employees to find ways to responsibly and safely farm, create and deliver quality consumer products while asking how we can make even more of a difference. If you are an “impact seeker” eager to positively contribute to environmental and social initiatives, then let’s share ideas.
- Reporting to the Director of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management, you will provide professional level EHS support with an emphasis in the areas of environmental compliance and insurance/workers compensation claims management.
- Environmental focused responsibilities include oversight of all aspects related to potable, waste and storm water plans, air quality control and hazardous waste programs and procedures.
- Additional duties include managing insurance claims to ensure a claim is actively managed from the onset and through to resolution as efficiently, effectively and as economically as possible.
- In working for Fetzer Vineyards, a Certified B Corporation, you will grow in a company that has not only met the highest standards of social and environmental performance but conducts business in ways where people and place matter.
Environmental responsibility and compliance are your wheelhouse and with keen focus, you have monitored and overseen regulatory related compliance requirements with agencies such as: Water Boards, Air Districts, EPA, Cal EPA, Cal OSHA, Office of Emergency Services and Environmental Health agencies. You enjoy being the “go-to” resource when it comes to reporting, inspections and ensuring employees are trained in compliance requirements. If your career track has involved insurance and workers’ compensation claims administration, that would shorten your learning curve as you take on this responsibility. If this is an interesting “add” to your skill set, your proven strength in reporting, follow-through, and analyzing metrics to understand trends and mitigate loss, will help you grow in this arena. If you are new to agriculture and the wine industry, the far reach of this role will afford you the opportunity to interact with experts in farming, quality, production, distribution, supply chain and maintenance and organic and biodynamic leadership.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene or other environmental, health and safety related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three to five years compliance related experience with a focus in environmental regulations and reporting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with ability to independently manage projects to completion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant federal and state laws and regulations regarding environmental, health and safety.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including experience with group presentations and training.
- Knowledge of agricultural or wine industry practices, a plus.
- Advanced computer skills, web based systems, EH&S systems, Word, Excel, PowerPoint internet and related programs.
- Bilingual English/Spanish desirable.
- CPR certification, a plus.
- Valid CA Driver’s License, required.
Founded in 1968 by Barney Fetzer in Mendocino County, California, Fetzer Vineyards is an award-winning purveyor of wines from sustainable, organic and biodynamic grapes. In addition to robust offerings under the winery’s flagship Fetzer label, the winery also crafts the leading wine from organic grapes, Bonterra Organic Vineyards, named the 2016 American Winery of the Year by Wine Enthusiast magazine. Other California-based offerings include Adorada, Anthony’s Hill, Jekel Vineyards, Sanctuary Wines and 1000 Stories, a Bourbon barrel aged Zinfandel recognized as a 2017 IMPACT Hot Prospect brand. Part of global winery Viña Concha y Toro, Fetzer Vineyards exports its diverse wines to more than 30 countries worldwide. Most recently, the winery entered the ultra-luxury wine and spirits category by forging a partnership with Kentucky Peerless Distilling Co. to sell is historic craft rye whiskey.
Our multi-site California winery operation includes 1000 acres of farmed vineyards and nearly 3 million cases produced annually. Operations include Mendocino County winery, production and vineyard locations. The company employs almost 300 across the United States.
Our corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449. Hopland is a small town of less than 800 people located at the start of the Redwoods of Northern California. It is about a two hour drive, along scenic U.S. Route 101, north of San Francisco.