Full-Time Education and Outreach Manager
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Education Program Manager is responsible for developing and implementing educational strategies, programs, curriculums and special events that raise awareness of migratory bird and habitat issues in the Gulf of Mexico region, lead our marketing and outreach projects, and head up our volunteer program.
I. Serve as the public education coordinator for the GCBO.
• Responsible for designing and leading GCBO’s environmental education programs
• Teaching environmental topics to school groups, visiting organizations, volunteers, and the general public
• Developing and managing a wetland education program for the GCBO’s Sanctuary
• Providing effective oral and written presentations on and off property
• Providing high-quality education experiences for Sanctuary visitors
• Help developed and manage special events such as Spring Fling and XHX
• Perform various other tasks as assigned
II. Serve as the marketing and outreach coordinator for GCBO
• Develop and disseminate marketing programs for the GCBO via various platforms
• Handle electronic media such as Facebook, etc.
• Assist with updating website
• Publish our eNews monthly eblast, and coordinate our bi-annual Gulf Crossing newsletter and weekly Nature Notes
• Help organize special events
III. Serve as the volunteer coordinator for GCBO
• Rebuild and implement an improved volunteer system
• Coordinate our volunteer events and efforts
• Recruitment and training of volunteers
• Record volunteer hours
• Knowledge of wildlife, bird watching, conservation, and education program development
• Skill in writing and verbal presentations
• Skill with personal computers, including PowerPoint
• Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to communicate clearly on the phone
• Ability to coordinate with co-workers, media representatives, agency personnel, corporate representatives and community leaders
• Ability to exercise initiative and work both independently as well as a team member
• Administrative and marketing skills
• A Bachelors or Masters degree in environmental education or a natural history discipline is preferred but not a must
• Bilingual with Spanish skills preferred
• Experience with marketing and/or fundraising preferred
• A ‘can-do attitude is a must
• A love of birds is a must
• A valid driver’s license is required
• Passing a background check is required
Position must be filled by: June 30, 2017 (but may be sooner if possible)
Position will be housed at the GCBO headquarters, Lake Jackson, Texas.
This is a full time, permanent position.
Salary and benefits will be based upon qualifications. Health insurance is offered (75%-25%)