Full-Time Communications Director
Sailors for the Sea, headquartered in Newport, RI, is the world’s leading ocean conservation organization that engages, educates, inspires and activates the sailing and boating community to protect the ocean. In 2016, over 1.3 million people engaged with Sailors for the Sea’s programs and social media. We are a movement and pragmatic voice for action that offers boaters tangible opportunities to create a legacy and make a difference.
Reporting to the President, and serving as an integral member of the management team, the Communications Director will be responsible for developing a strategic communications plan and managing public relations activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand.
This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with media, influencers, and social media followers. The goal is to advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance brand identity; broaden awareness of organization’s programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of the organization to key stakeholders and audiences
- Oversee development of all communications including special reports, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including the website and digital media platforms; manage relationships with associated vendors
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote the organization; prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed for board and staff
- Manage all social media accounts (currently Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn) and develop new accounts when appropriate. This will include strategic planning of content and maintaining conversation with constituents. Tasks include content creation, editorial calendar, performance analytics and branding
- Manage and analyze Google analytics and Google Adwords Grant; responsible for growing website traffic
- Develop and plan website improvements to facilitate program usage, grow subscription rates and keep the organization’s website presence in-line with evolving technology
- Responsible for management of Ocean Watch Magazine program, both printed and web versions. This includes recruitment of articles, coordination with authors, editors and magazine designers
- Coordinate with program directors and fundraising team to ensure timely communications about their programs, fundraising appeals and events. Creation of sponsorship presentations, materials and pitch decks and other communication initiatives related to the corporate sponsorship and engagement program
- Report communications analytics to Board of Directors on a quarterly basis
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, knowledge of both sailing community and/or ocean conservation preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in leadership role for communications/marketing of a nonprofit entity, preference given to candidates with experience in website and social media management, PR experience, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
- Maintains a working knowledge of SEO principles, including keyword research and management of Google Analytics and Google Adwords Grant
- Demonstrated skills in proactively building relationships with writers, reporters and editors, along with success in positioning subject matter to media and growing distribution of content
- Successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online platforms
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communication, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in coaching team members on effective communications, assist with blog writing and editing
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with management, board of directors and staff
- Passion for the organization’s mission, ocean conservation, and boating community
- Experience using MS Office, Sprout Social, Mailchimp, Meltwater, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator and In-Design. Understanding of CRM software, and Drupal website programming
How to ApplyDeadline to apply: Friday, September 22, 2017 The position is based in Newport, RI. To apply please send cover letter and resume as a combined document in PDF format to email@example.com. Sailors for the Sea is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405