At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature – to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a full-time Campaigner for our Climate Law Institute to work on our California Oil Campaign. This position is located in Oakland or Los Angeles, California.
General position overview:
The Climate Law Institute works to protect our planet for people and all the species we share it with. We combine innovative legal work with grassroots organizing to cut greenhouse pollution, speed the just transition to 100-percent renewable energy; keep fossil fuels in the ground; and protect our wildlife, air, water and health.
We seek an experienced Campaigner to work on our California Oil Campaign harnessing the power of grassroots activism to ban fracking and protect people and wildlife from oil industry pollution. Our campaign seeks an immediate ban on fracking and a phase-out of oil and gas production in California as our state makes the needed, just transition from fossil fuels to 100-percent renewable energy. The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for campaign work throughout California as part of a dynamic team, including organizers, scientists, lawyers and media professionals. We seek a candidate who will thrive in this fast-paced, exciting, and challenging position.
- Support organizational and coalition work to ban fracking and protect public health and wildlife from oil drilling, including:
- Engaging in statewide campaign work seeking immediate action by the California governor.
- Working to pass local ballot measures and ordinances banning fracking and restricting oil development.
- Opposing oil and gas projects and advocating for the enforcement of environmental protections, such as by organizing supporter participation in hearings before decision-making bodies like city councils.
- Represent the Center in coalition efforts and support the work of coalition partners.
- Assist in the collaborative development and execution of creative strategies to engage people through protests, rallies and other activities.
- Build relationships with new and existing allies.
- Expand recruitment and engagement of Center supporters in California on oil-extraction efforts.
- Assist with related state legislative efforts, such as by organizing meetings with elected officials and testimony at legislative hearings.
- Conduct public presentations and media interviews.
- Travel regularly throughout California.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Minimum three to five years experience in and passion for progressive campaigning and/or organizing.
- Highly developed analytic and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Experience in coalition organizing strongly preferred.
- The ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines in a busy environment.
- Experience with media outreach and interviews preferred.
- Generous paid health options to include, medical, dental, vision and disability insurance.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Relaxed work atmosphere.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.