This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
6 Nov 2017
Part-Time Applications Programmer
- Under direction of the Principal Investigator, plan, design and develop a web application/application suite (app) as a decision support system (DSS) to assist users in siting woody biomass to electricity and related facilities. Design the DSS to provide technical, economic, financial and environmental feasibility assessment and more generally to evaluate overall economic, environmental, and social sustainability. Specify appropriate client/server application programming interfaces (API) for the DSS, use other programming tools and techniques to develop and deliver a user-friendly and comprehensive online DSS, and work collaboratively within a project team to develop, use, and archive relevant data and information, apply the DSS in quality assessment and peer review evaluations, and conduct case studies, scenario analysis, and other user applications. Participate in project reporting, manuscript preparation and publication, proposal preparation, technical meetings and conferences, and other outreach, information dissemination, and project activities.
- Sit at a computer with extensive keyboard use and view computer screens for extended periods of time.
- Work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, usually on short notice to meet operational needs and project priorities and deadlines.
- Occasional travel to attend meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Engineering or in related area, and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience in developing and maintaining websites and web applications.
- Expertise in client side web application development using industry standard programming tools and techniques.
- Expertise in server side application development frameworks.
- Experience in using web application development frameworks and in web security.
- Full stack application developer (work with server and client/browser applications).
- Experience with GIS and GIS developer tools and capable of working closely with other GIS application development personnel.
- Experience designing and building Rest services.
- Skills to communicate with users and comprehend user needs; including excellent writing skills to develop documentation for IT professionals and user manuals for non-technical end-users.
- Database experience including PostgreSQL/PostGIS and MongoDB.
- Experience with NodeJS/ExpressJS, Polymer/Web Components, Isomorphic code design, Open Street Map Data/OSRM, LeafletJS, Docker, and similar database, server, and client services.
- System administrator experience including AWS and Google cloud platforms.
- Collaborative team environment.
- May be required to work in an open and/or shared office environment with multiple interruptions.
- UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.